Saturday, March 29, 2008

YOUTUBE METUBE

Have had fun this week exploring YouTube and Google Videos. First time for me. We have just signed on for broadband at home so its all been a bit easier this week. We carn't access YouTube on our work computers at this stage. Why I don't know. The councils need to move into the 21st centuary. My attempt at embedding a vidoe. Hope it works.

If this embedding works. New Zealand has the best beaches in all the world. So I thought I would share some of the beauty with you.

Online videos, the possibilities for libraries are unlimited. I loved the whole idea of staff orientation. That concept could expanded to staff training. There is heaps of stuff I want to know in the organisation that I work for but the old problem of being short staffed, no time. Its very frustrating. YouTubing training sessions on various aspects of our local library is possibly the answer.

Patron training is an area that could be improved by using online video. If we had a PC designated to online training sessions on subjects such as the using the local history area, searching databases etc it could greatly help patrons find information.
We would be available to help but there is always the serious student who likes to access materials themselves and I think this should be promoted.

Olive was great. Her trip to Broken Hill. What a wonderful tool for recording history. I would love to record my Dad. He grew up in Holland during WWII. Hes 80 now and when he dies all those memories go with him. Video on the web is great way for families to share stories like Olive's.

Videoing author talks, library activities is a way of promoting our library. The community are often unaware of whats going on in the library and this is another tool for promoting our library service.

My quota on the computer is over. Looking forward to next weeks training. I am really enjoying myself and have decided to look into more opportunities to do further training.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

I am glad you are still enjoying Learning 2.0 and discovering lots of new things. You have some great ideas for using the technology in libraries.

Victoria